When water damage occurs in your home or business, the problem does not go away with time. Secondary destruction takes place as more time passes, causing greater damage.
Overwhelmed gutters, leaking pipes, backed-up toilets and natural disasters are a few common causes of water damage. Water pools into corners, damaging every material it absorbs into as the clock ticks by. Here’s how quickly water damage escalates.
How Water Damages the Home Within Minutes
Did you know that water can damage your home within minutes? Here’s what to look for:
• Furniture finishes, sensitive to moisture, start to turn white.
• Carpets quickly absorb water, and furniture left standing on these saturated surfaces stain the carpeting.
• Water contamination increasingly spreads, accelerating claim costs.
How Water Damages the Home Within Hours
Minutes turn into hours, and as those hours tick by, water damage becomes more apparent.
• Furniture in contact with the spreading water swells and delaminates.
• Increased humidity amplifies everyday smells. The risk for mold development grows. Leaking toilets and food left out increases health risks, as these hazards interact.
• Non-colorfast fabrics dyes bleed.
How Water Damages the Home Within Days
Where moisture lingers, mold and fungi begin to appear, as wood warps and structures break down.
• Mold spores appear within 24 hours, and fungi grow — signaled by their distinct musty odors.
• Severe wood cupping and warping becomes apparent. After days, water damage to wood floors may mean replacing flooring in entire rooms.
• Wallpaper peels away as the adhesives release. Painted walls form blisters.
• Wood structures swell, split and warp.
At this point, if you act quickly to contact water damage restoration professionals, your home or business may be restored closer to its original condition before the loss occurred.
How Water Damages the Home Within Weeks
As the weeks pass, greater risks due to water damage threaten to your home and health.
• Mold roots itself into organic materials, destroying their integrity.
• Increasing health hazards force occupants to evacuate.
• Exposure to mold can result in allergic sensitivity and chronic respiratory issues.
• Weeks worth of water damage may require the residence or business being completely gutted to its bare bones. Occupants become displaced for long periods and claims shoot up astronomically.
Minimizing Water Damage
Basements are the primary culprits for water damage and mold growth, due to humidity, dampness and poor air circulation. The humidity and water in a bathroom can also generate moist, stagnant air, and this air makes for a perfect breeding ground for mold. Attics, laundry rooms and wall cavities are also prone to water damage.
Where there is moisture or condensation, water damage and mold growth can occur. Getting ventilation into the structure and removing furniture away from saturated surfaces helps reduce water damage. But you can only do so much within minutes and hours on your own. Your life and health are the higher priorities.
Do not take any chances. Be safe and get help cleaning up water damage before it accelerates. Water damage can lead to expensive and extensive repairs, but most of these challenges may be made as successful claims through one’s insurance company.
Microbial and mold growth can occur within 24 hours, compromising health for all inhabitants, even pets. Prevent additional damage to your home to save meaningful and important items as well as the structure itself.
ECOS professionals are certified water damage repair experts. With more than 10 years of experience in the industry, a quick response time reduces the risk of extensive damage and repair costs. ECOS professionals are with you every step of the way, as a reputable restoration company should be, documenting the damage before restoration and walking the claims adjuster through the property before and after services are rendered. Serving Colorado, call ECOS 24/7 at (888) 506-3165 to discuss your water damage concerns.